The Maldives, a paradise on earth. Beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters and amazing sealife. There is only one big disadvantage, after you go to the Maldives you are going to compare other destinations with The Maldives, which is just not fair.
When you are looking for the best beaches and turquoise waters, it cannot get any better than the Maldives!
From the Real Travel Blog we believe it is a paradise on earth. Beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters and amazing sea life. There is only one big disadvantage, after you go to the Maldives you are going to compare other destinations with The Maldives, which is just not fair.
When you are looking for the best beaches and turquoise waters, it cannot get any better than the Maldives.
The Maldives are for a lot of people a dream destination. We went the first time in 2009 and have been back three times since then. So needless to say that we really love this destination. There is one disadvantage of the Maldives, once you have been there sea life and beaches will be almost always disappointing when you go to other destinations.
The arrival at the airport is always beautiful, overlooking the different islands with the crystal clear blue waters.
Things to keep in mind before to book a vacation in the Maldives:
- If you are looking for nightlife, this is defiantly not the destination. This is the destination to relax, and to have a cocktail at night, but not to party.
- Make sure that there is a house reef on the resort you want to book, which is at a swimming distance.
- There are still a number of resorts, where the shower has salty water. This is for us a no-go, as a nice shower after being in the sea all day is a must.
- Maldives is a Muslim country, so you cannot take alcohol or pork products through customs.
- The Maldives is warm all year, but there is a rainy season. During this season you will have more or less rain every day, but normally it are showers. However, it can also rain the whole day. The rainy season runs from May – Nov, and obviously prices are significant lower during this period. If you don`t mind having a few rainy days, it might be a good option to visit the Maldives in this period for a reasonable price. However, you should at least take a 10 days’ vacation, as the chance is high that you will have rainy days. How many it will be, is a matter of luck.
- Normally we prefer to build our own holiday package with flight and hotels, as we don’t like to stay too long in the same hotel, but for the Maldives you better go with a package deal. Transfers from the airport to the resort are in general expensive, as well as separate bookings of hotels. Therefore, at the Maldives you should just stay in one resort for your vacation.
For a relaxing vacation, white sandy beaches and a turquoise sea, the Maldives is one of the best locations in the world.
Hotel are is in general in bungalow style. This adds to the relaxation feeling as you have privacy, and not the hassle of a high rise hotel like you see for example in the Caribbean. You have from basic accommodation to high end luxury resorts.
Prices are high, especially in the high season. It depends on your standard, but finding a decent hotel under 150€ is a challenge. The exception can be the airport Island, but that is not where you want to stay during your Maldives vacation.
Food & drinks
These are expensive, and you are bounded to the Island you have booked. Therefore your bill for food and drinks can get considerable. Also the hot and humid climate make you drink continuously. We therefore always go for an all-inclusive option, so that you know what you will spend.
Most hotels have different themes for there buffet, but the Asian influence is big, and you will see most likely a lot of Currie`s.
Our first stay was at the Kuramathi Island resort. We loved this island and resort. Read everything about our stays in the Maldives, Kuramathi Island resort at the Ari Atoll
Our second trip to the Maldives was to the Chayaa Reef Island resort. Here we stayed in a waterbungalow which is amazing. In terms of hotel itself not the best where we stayed, but in terms of snorkling it was maybe the best we had in The Maldives. Read about our Maldives resort Chayaa Reef Ellaidhoo.
Our 3rd tim to the Maldives. This time we choose the Royal Island resort Maldives. We had many encounters with stingrays during this vacation. It does not matter how many times you see them, it keeps just amazing to meet a school of stingrays during snorkeling.